Shippers who proactively secure capacity are far less likely to feel the capacity crunch. Be sure to select your core carriers – make commitments and expect reciprocal commitments in return.
Here are some tips to become an attractive shipper of choice:
- Open pick-up and delivery times deepen your pool of drivers.
- Drop and hook freight is more efficient and driver friendly; this may differ for very specialized equipment.
- Pre-loading trailers/containers cuts pickup time and keeps drivers moving.
- Communicating earlier and providing volume forecasts helps the capacity planning.
- Efficient check-in and check-out processes improve driver and asset utilization.
- Use both day and night port hours to reduce the impact of capacity loss due to congestion.
Want to find out more? Check out Jetco CEO Brian Fielkow’s discussion with Yahoo News.